Tuesday, September 12

When we heed a certain call

It's that time of year again. Head bowed, avoiding all eye contact, hiding inside my locker til after cleaning time, I thought this year I could maybe, just maybe get out of participating in the dignity-sucking School Festival hit pararde. Last year, I gave it my best Karen Carpentar, belting out On Top Of The World with a shit-eating grin spread wide across my face. Did I have fun? Absolutely. In a kind of, "well, this is a unique Japanese experience that I never care to repeat" kind of way. And just when I thought I was off the hook, two students slyly entrapped me at my desk, slipping me a CD and requesting with sad, puppy dog eyes that I sing again this year. When I looked at what they wanted me to sing, I asked them if they were freaking bananas. They looked at me blankly, muttered "nani?" and took my reply as a yes. I will say this: my moment has come. On stage, performing before a live audience and backed by a full brass band, I have been hand-picked to sing We Are The World. By myself.

I`ve been studiously watching the 1985 video in an attempt to master the swaying and facial ticks of each singer. Oh, yes. I plan to do all the voices. I especially love slipping from Dionne Warwick to Willy Nelson. Or from Kenny Rogers to James Ingram. They're gonna think I'm possessed by a freaking demon. Any costume suggestions? Maybe just an oversized pair of padded headphones...

1 comment:

Raychaa said...

Aw, just saw your secret blog! Little Bonnie (or Tyler?) will be one hell of a singer.

And here is some advice from someone who has already had to sing that goddamn awful WATW song to all of my 3nensei students over the past 2 years and then be forced into a room to listen to each and every single one of them sing it back to me as their "speaking test" (roll on December 2006 Horror):

--It doesn't matter if you don't really know the words. It's all about attitude.
--It might help to bob your head like epilepsy.
--... um, that's all the advice I have. That song gives me nightmares. We aahh za wowld...