Saturday, August 5

Down to the Wire

It's 15 hours before departure and we're just packing the last of our things. Not so long ago, I could throw together a suitcase in 15 minutes. Destination unknown: Tel-Aviv, Sao Paulo, Paris, Thunder Bay, Saskatoon, it didn't matter. I could be ready to go anywhere with the snap of a finger. No clean underwear? No problem. Just turn them inside out! One year later, I sit here ironing handkerchiefs and t-shirts, placing everything neatly into labeled zip-lock bags. Is my grandmother inhabiting my body? Next thing you know I'll be sewing the days of the week onto the ass of my undies.

Also in preparation for tomorrow's departure, C and I have removed our wedding rings and filed our nails down to the bone. Apparently, there will be no toilet paper available at the camp. We are expected to make do with our left hand, a bucket of water, and a scoop. Constipation never looked so good! At least we've got the squat down from living in Japan. Ah, well. As the old saying goes, when in Rome...

Joking aside, we are jumping up and down with excitement and anticipation. Only one more sleep!! Be back at the end of August! So long, folks!

ps...In Sumatra I can give up a lot of things: TV, the internet, my ipod and even toilet paper. But one thing I will miss is a new episode of Wiretap on CBC radio. If anyone can tape it for me, I'll be their best friend.

August 6/Wiretap: The Promise of Childhood

Jonathan Goldstein describes how it feels when Zuuzuu discovers the Beatles. Gregor does his best to save a precocious child from certain doom - a future of adult mediocrity. Howard tries to convince Goldstein to revisit the glories of childhood with a round of what he claims was the best game ever: No Rules Octopus Rock Tag.

The new episodes now air on Sundays (Monday for us--rats!!!)

3 comments:

Chris C said...

Have a great trip! And don't be sneaking those monkeys back in your luggage. They'll poop all over your best flip-flops.

Chris C said...

PS I know I will sound very stupid here (because I am, probably) but do Orangutangs count as monkeys? Or are they an entirely separate thing altogether? Hmm...

Frugal Rock said...

We have been affectionately calling the orange ape "ginger monkeys" but no, they are primates to be reckoned with. They are so beautiful...can't wait to post our pictures when we return!