Sunday, July 30

Fireworks Festival

The rainy season is over. The oppressive heat of summer has arrived in full force, accompanied by the deafening song of the cicadas. In celebration of summer, we did what anybody would do: don traditional clothing and suppress our breathing! We met at Chisato's house where her mom manhandled us into snuggly fitting yukata. I could feel my arms and legs, but not much in between, the obi cutting off every sensation (except for pain). Christopher's challenge was of a different nature: he had to walk in wooden platform geta while serving as porter and photographer to all the ladies.

The Fireworks Festival in Kasaoka was rather impressive, with 40 000 people coming from nearby towns to take part. What I enjoyed most was admiring the hundreds of different yukata patterns and hearing the click click click of wooden geta on the pavement. As foreigners, we mostly attracted curious stares and the occasional point. I will tell myself it was because we looked so beautiful.

Not to be performed in yukata: eating, drinking of any kind, urinating, opera arias.





1 comment:

Wendi O said...

Yes, you have very shiny hair.

I love hanabi.