Saturday, June 17

Daddy's Girl

Dear Dad,

It's Father's Day today. Sadly, I cannot be there with you in the flesh to throw my arms around you, share a beer and whip your ass at euchre. I really miss spending time with you, Dad. You are truly one of a kind. A perfect blend of serious and goofball. Okay, maybe one part serious, two parts goofball.
In my nearly 30 years, you have always been a great Dad: loving, generous, wise, sensitive, gentle, hilarious and spontaneous. On Father's Day, I always have much to celebrate and much to be thankful for. I am truly blessed to have you in my life.

Thank you, Dad

...for saying "I love you" every day

...for your famous expressions over the years

-Oh my garage!
-I'm so hungry, I could eat the asshole out of teddy bear!
-Don't sweat the small stuff!

...for not giving a rip what other people think

...for getting up to so much mischief

...for teaching me the art of ordering in a restaurant
-What are you known for?
-Does that come with a pilaf?
(you do realize that I now order for Christopher in precisely the same manner..."my husband will have a beer...")

...for your spontaneity. Even after an 80 hour work week, you would muster the energy and say:

-Who wants to go to a show tonight?
-How about a game of Crazy 8s?
-Grab your coat, let's go for Dairy Queen

...for giving me room to grow

...for letting me make my own choices

...for giving me my own bathroom

...for your impeccable taste in women

...for making me stick with piano lessons

...for loving me enough to let me make my way in the world

Dad, thank you most of all for always being yourself.

I love you and miss you terribly.

Giant bear hugs and kisses,

Sabby

No comments: